Friday, November 14, 2008

The new Coen brothers' film; Burn After Reading.

Initially I had reservations as to whether I'd enjoy this film or not; it only scored about 78% on the tomatometer, and reviews indicated that it wasn't the strongest example of Coen brother's-style film-making. As one does, when they have pre-concieved low expectations, I actually enjoyed the film quite a lot.

I was quite pleased to watch a film where everyone was between 40-60 or so,... no young bimbos or token hotties,... The casting was quite unusual,...but with great performances from Tilda Swinton, Frances Mcdormand, Brad Bitt, George Clooney, John Malkovich,...it all came together well.

I particularly love the Coen brothers' style of extremely subtle yet fiercely cutting black humour. Unlike other "comedies," there is no need for obvious comedic conventions and announcements;.. "THIS IS A JOKE, LAUGH NOW!" type stuff. Actually for some of my favourite comedies, there wouldn't be so many "laugh out loud" jokes, but rather, an ongoing series of inward ironic chuckles.

I can see how Burn After Reading would only score 70-80% / 3-4 stars,... it's not THE BEST FILM in the world,... it's more like a lingering dry martini rather than a pina colada. Sharp, funny, subtle, by not TRYING to even be a block-buster, the Coen brothers nail this one, for what it is.

1 comment:

Songy said...

agreed. Pitt was great in that movie. His last scene was totally unexpected and that's why it was better than I thought.