Monday, December 1, 2008

The death of Jørn Utzon - the architect behind the Sydney Opera House.

Here's a quick tribute to the Danish architect, and designer of the Sydney Opera House, Jørn Utzon. I was disappointed when I first learnt of how Utzon was treated by tne NSW government during the construction of this landmark building. Government construction projects invariably go into the red,...I don't know the specific details, but how could you blame the architect?

What is the point of architecture? Of course, function is extremely important. But something interesting happens when art meetings construction. This is when a building becomes 'a place', 'an icon' and 'a landmark'. In the international collective perspective of the world, what would Sydney be without the Opera House? Ambitiously edgy new buildings are always risky when it comes to public opinion and politics, but it would be even worse if we never tried at all.

3 comments:

Songy said...

I heard he never set foot in Australia ever since the AU Govt went cheap with the acoustics of the Opera house for what 20-30 years? What a man. eh?

Janelle said...

Hey karen,
It says you're a follower of my blog.
I added you to my list.

janelle

Karen said...

Yay Janelle you found me ^_^
xo