Monday, April 13, 2009

A list of my favourite movies

For various reasons and appeals, and in no particular order, I hereby present to you a list of several of my favourite movies. If you can recommend any films to me based on this list, it would be more than welcome.

Hairspray
Election
Say Anything
Pretty In Pink
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Down By Law
The Fly
Raising Arizona
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation
Amelie
There Will Be Blood
Napoleon Dynamite
I Heart Huckabees
Videodrome
Terminator II
Spirited Away
Dr Strangelove
Crybaby
Pecker
Sex Lies and Videotape
Secretary
Sean of the Dead
Crumb
Breathless
American Beauty
The King of Comedy
Citizen Ruth
Clueless
Dead Poets Society
Chungking Express
American Splendor
The Shawshank Redemption
My Neighbour Totoro
The Hudsucker Proxy
Gummo
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
They Live
The Graduate
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
Wild at Heart
Dead Man
Barton Fink
Kentucky Fried Movie
Chasing Amy
Poison Ivy
Mannequin
Rushmore
Sideways
Being John Malkovich
Saved
Ghostworld
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Better Off Dead
The Secret of My Success
The Royal Tenenbaums
High Fidelity
Being There
Network
Thankyou For Smoking
War Games
The Day After
Spinal Tap
In America
Clerks
Mallrats
The House of Yes
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Dead Man on Campus
Somersault
The Matrix
Wonder Boys
Mean Girls
Body Melt
The Opposite of Sex
Goodbye Lenin!
Love and Other Catastrophes
Strange Planet
City of God
The Wedding Singer
Lost Highway
Flirting with Disaster

3 comments:

jillian-anne said...

Oh man, so many of these make my list! Brat pack movies yeahhhh!

Anonymous said...

hi Karen,

I, too, enjoyed Pecker, Gilbert Grape, Ghost World, I Heart Huckabees, Down by Law, Eternal Sunshine .....

I recommend Science of Sleep, if you haven't seen it already.
Flirting (the film) was an immediate favorite: Noah Taylor and Thandie Newton, boarding school,existenialists,tutti frutti,bullying and boxing, the debate team - sweet and smart, a must-see.

Ma Vie en Rose is very colorful and I think I enjoyed it. It was the first film I saw in London, along with The Ice Storm. I think I preferred Ma Vie..

London was great for films - I saw a film adaptation of Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen, Alice and Martin, and loads of other films there 1998-2002.

I liked This Boy's Life and The Basketball Diaries (with leo di caprio).If you like Juliette Lewis, then Husbands and Wives is worth seeing. Woody Allen's new film Vicky Christina Barcelona is also good.

A loooooooong time ago Peggy Sue was amusing. I have no idea if it still would be - a young high school rebel Nic Cage and a time-traveling Kathleen Turner.

finally I just want to thank you for keeping up such a good blog - you're a star! :->
I'm not very high-tech and completely new to blogging, haven't even filled out a proper profile yet. feel free to send ME recommendations here or on lastfm -
I'm ruby harvest,

a.k.a
nína

Karen said...

Hi Nina,

Ahhh finally I can reply to your comment!

Yah I've seen Science of Sleep, I really like the concepts and the surreal aspects of this film. I haven't seen Flirting... sounds good! I'll add that!

Yay cool thanks for the other tips... Hmm yay I've got a lot of film watching to do!

Have you been writing much in your blog? I'll have a look. ^_^

Karen