Monday, January 5, 2009

Memorable quotes from "The Happening".


First of all, I can't believe I watched this film. Okay, so the cover story looked interesting,...kind of relating to the dystopian/post-apocalyptic genre which I adore. The basic story-line is that a weird plant-borne virus starts affecting populations of various American cities on the east coast. The effects of the virus are that the person loses their 'survival instinct' and immediately commits suicide. This film could've been well done if more attention were paid to the building of atmosphere and suspense. A lot of the dialogue also sucked quite hard.

Here's some of my favourite quotes from this film, which really personify the glory of the scripting:


Alma Moore: Okay, I was going to tell you, okay? There was this guy Joey. His name is Joey; he's at work. We went out and we had dessert; I went out and had dessert with him when I told you I worked late and I didn't work late and I'm feeling really guilty in case we're gonna die. I just wanted you to know that.


Elliot Moore: If we're going to die, I want you to know something. I was in the pharmacy a while ago. There was a really good-looking pharmacist behind the counter. Really good-looking. I went up and asked her where the cough syrup was. I didn't even have a cough, and I almost bought it. I'm talking about a completely superfluous bottle of cough syrup, which costs like six bucks.

I think this was one of the highlights of the film,... the weird sub-plot of the mysterious JOEY, with whom Alma shared a tiramisu. How is this relevant?, I ask?
Is 'tiramisu' a clever euphemism for a more sordid treat?

"The Happening" - 2 stars

No comments: